1 decade ago. However, if you are facing such issues, there may be mainly two reasons for such. If you cannot get the pilot light on your Rheem furnace to light and stay lit, the most common problem is a bad thermocouple. Pilot won't stay lit even after replacing thermocouple on bbq! Last night I replaced the thermocouple (TC), cleaned the screen, hooked it up and it still would not light. I have two Whirlpool water heaters -- both new from Lowe's in September 2008. Here are 5 reasons why your pilot light won’t stay lit and how you can fix it. The gas valve sends gas to the main burner(s), which is lit by the pilot light. You can test it with a multimeter. After cleaning, should the pilot light still not stay lit, it is probably time to get new equipment. Other Reasons for Gas Fireplace that Won’t Stay Lit After all, your thermocouple is sitting in direct flame its whole life. I replaced the thermocouple but after 30-45 seconds it goes out. What's up? The pilot on my Rheem furnace will not stay lit. Williams Wall Furnace Pilot Light Won't Stay Lit­ A thermocouple is typically used on a gas furnace with a standing pilot, recognizable by its small, continuously burning flame that you can see if you remove the access cover on the furnace's burner chamber. The thermocouple and safety shutoff do double duty, since on burners that use a pilot flame the thermocouple senses the pilot flame and won't permit the gas valve to open if the pilot is not lit. It won't stay on. Some common causes include issues with the thermocouple and pilot tube. If after inspection you determine there is a carbon buildup on it, try cleaning it off. Step 3: If the pilot flame won't stay lit after several tries, it should be adjusted by a professional. Troubleshooting this issue may be helpful in determining the source of the problem and helping users identify a potential resolution. It’s not unusual for the thermocouple to collect carbon deposit buildup after a season of use. So what’s the deal? I tested the thermocouple with my multimeter and got 29 millivolts which meant it was still working. First, inspect the flame. The pilot stays lit anywhere from 20 minutes to several weeks. This is not a rare issue that most of the people can never understand. M Oglesby. it looks like the whole unit can easily be replaced, except for a pair of yellow wires leading from a sensor at the top of the furnace vent down to where the thermocouple attaches to the gas valve. If your pilot light won’t stay lit, cleaning the carbon off the thermocouple might help. Don't try to adjust the mechanism or tamper with the gas line. Replace if Cleaning Did Not Work. Furnace Pilot Light Won't Stay Lit - Already Replaced Thermocouple After replacing the thermocouple, it worked initially for at least a couple of minutes. It could simply be that the thermocouple is bent. If your furnace’s pilot light won’t stay on, the furnace won’t work. try not to bend them close to the end where it attaches to the valve and at the pilot burner. BMitch ♦ 41.2k 13 13 gold badges 82 82 silver badges 188 188 bronze badges. Even after trying to relight the pilot light, you still may experience it going off. If you have a direct ignition furnace, you won’t have a pilot light. The tip of the thermocouple is positioned in the flame, keeping the tip heated at all times. I have an older ruud furnace. If not, then you need to either clean or do a gas furnace thermocouple replacement. I hold the button down in excess of 3 minutes and as soon as you release, the pilot light goes out immediatly. Why does this happen? … read more. The thermocouple tells the furnace controller that the pilot light is working. The pilot light won't stay on. Maybe the pilot stays on for a moment and the furnace attempts to fire, but almost immediately shuts down. The tech found the new gas valve to have a fault, as it won't switch to "off", only pilot or on, but I don't think this has anything to do with the pilot going out. If the pilot lights but won't stay lit, the thermocouple is probably bad. tuxedo cat. Why Water Heater Pilot Light Won’t Stay Lit After Replacing Thermocouple? The problem may be a genuine defect or it could be an issue with the sensor. 8 Answers. I tried lighting (I know how) and it would not stay lit even after holding over three minutes. Its a hydro flame rv furnace… Family is warm, what more can you ask for? If you have a furnace with a pilot light, then you will have a thermocouple. the pilot won't stay lit after replacing the thermocouple. ©2006 Publications International, Ltd. To adjust the pilot flame, turn the adjustment screw on the gas line, as directed by the range manufacturer. share | improve this question | follow | edited Oct 29 '13 at 1:23. These furnaces skip steps 3-5 and instead light the burner directly. If cleaning the thermocouple didn’t allow your pilot light to stay lit, or cleaning the thermopile didn’t allow the pilot light to generate enough electricity to open your gas valve and ignite the burner, it might be time to replace one of them. Thermocouples detect pilot lights by sensing the heat they produce. Every gas appliance with a standing pilot that cycles on and off needs a thermocouple. howdy! The job of the thermocouple is to determine whether or not the pilot light is lit. The pilot light is still going out after the heat kicks off. Attempts to re-light the pilot light are futile. i have a williams wall furnace Model #25GV-A1-5T. But, once I let go of the button, the pilot immediately goes out. Favorite Answer. It’s crucial that the end of your thermocouple (tip) is in the path of a good pilot flame. The pilot light wont stay on. But, sometimes, thermocouples wear out, then you may need replacing. This pilot light may not always stay lit, due to a variety of issues that may affect the gas supply or ignitor. Step 5. Thermocouple vs. Flame Sensor . Is it common for thermocouples to test fine but still not actually work? 0 1. Pilot light won't stay lit after initial furnace burn. The flame looks perfect, nice and blue, the thermocouple gets glowing hot when attempting to light the pilot. furnace gas pilot-light. A faulty thermocouple may arbitrarily determine that the light is off when you want it on and vice versa. Assuming I was in over my head, I called the plumber who proceeded to change the thermocouple and now everything is fine. So the pilot on my furnace wouldn't stay lit. Maintenance or troubleshooting should only be performed by adults familiar with operating large gas appliances. The thermocouple detects the pilot light via sensors. Since the thermocouple directly allows the pilot light to get turned on it is most likely to remain on for a while. When you push the thermocouple closer to the pilot, it will solve the problem. I can light it and depress the pilot switch for 2 minutes. When a pilot light won’t stay lit on your gas water heater, this is exactly what you can expect. Luckily, this is a relatively simple procedure with the right tools and equipment. Answer Save. I have a Gas Wall Heater and the pilot won't stay lit. Cleaning the thermocouple is a pretty simple process but should only be done when the fireplace is turned off and is completely cool. If the thermocouple doesn't sense heat coming from the pilot light, it shuts off the gas to prevent a leak or dangerous buildup. I have an older ruud furnace. When a propane heater won’t stay lit, often what is happening is that the propane heater may sense that the flame is defective in some way, triggering the propane heater’s safety functions and causing it to shut off. We had a man come out and fix our furnace, he replaced the thermocouple in it. Thermocouples. The thermocouple on a gas fireplace may eventually become clogged with dirt and soot, which can reduce the effectiveness of the thermocouple and may eventually prevent the fireplace from lighting as expected. This is a safety device that closes your gas valve when the pilot light goes out so gas doesn’t enter your home. Yesterday, I replaced the thermocouple with a universal thermocouple and cleaned out the dust and soot from the burner area. Your furnace’s thermocouple is a copper rod that sits next to your furnace burners.It’s often called the “flame sensor” because its job is to detect whether the pilot light is lit or not.If it can’t sense a flame from the pilot light, it prevents the gas valve from opening and … When finished, the pilot should be lit and stay lit. Take out the faulty thermocouple and thermopile and replace them with new ones. The easiest way to tackle this home project is to abrade the rod with fine-grit sandpaper lightly. It will stay lit after initial light, but will go out after furnace runs. If it determines that the pilot light is off, it shuts down the flow of gas. Try Cleaning Off Your Thermocouple if Your Pilot Light Won’t Stay Lit. If the pilot light is not working, the gas control valve will not open and you won’t get any heat. Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about? 1 decade ago. I've tried two new thermocouples, and I can't get it to stay on. Your furnace pilot won't turn on when it is defective or too far away. Sunday, we ran out of hot water, I checked and found one of them not lit. Adjustments for your furnace thermocouple. If your home furnace's pilot light won't stay lit, it's possible that your thermocouple has failed and should be replaced. furnace won't stay lit, just replaced the thermocouple? I have replaced the thermocouple to no avail. If this still doesn’t solve your problem, you may want to consult a professional. A couple of days go by, and as I'm changing the humidifier filter, I notice the pilot light is out once again. furnace pilot went out , replaced thermocouple, pilot won't stay lit? Does my thermocouple need replacing? I had the gas valve replaced about 2 weeks ago and it stayed lit until yesterday, the thermocouple was replaced last night, and now it has gone out 3 times since. Your furnace will still have a flame sensor, but it will be over the burner’s flame. Lv 6. You can check to see if this is your problem by seeing whether or not your pilot light is staying on. Your furnace's thermocouple, if it works normally, checks to see whether the pilot light is on or off. After installation, I also did the detergent test to make sure the gas connections are secure and not leaking. This has happened before, and a new thermocouple always fixed the problem. The pilot in my gas water heater (Aquamax 205) has been going out sporadically over the last 2 weeks. My furnace pilot light will not stay lit. Anonymous. I bought this place several months ago and trying out the furnace ('93 Rheem) at for the first time (~40 degrees this past week) but realized the pilot was out. it's sounds like it's time to change out the gas valve. Relevance. A Broken or Damaged Thermocouple – In this instance there is something wrong with the equipment and a technician would be required to replace or repair the thermocouple in order for your pilot light to stay lit again. This device generates a small electric signal to keep the gas valve open when the pilot is on. Furnace with a pilot light ( TC ), cleaned the screen, hooked it up and it still not. Follow | edited Oct 29 '13 at 1:23 lit even after replacing thermocouple works normally, checks to if... Valve will not stay lit, it is probably bad it on vice! And now everything is fine over the burner ’ s pilot light to get new equipment carbon off thermocouple... The path of a good pilot flame wo n't stay lit on your gas Heater. 'S in September 2008 several tries, it should be lit and stay lit Just! A genuine defect or it could be an issue with the thermocouple is bent the flow of gas with. Proceeded to change out the gas control valve will not open and you won t! After furnace runs ignition furnace, you won ’ t stay lit replacing. Every gas appliance with a standing pilot that cycles on and vice.. Will still have a gas furnace thermocouple replacement screen, hooked it up and still! ♦ 41.2k 13 13 gold badges 82 82 silver badges 188 188 badges! Furnace burn the burner directly if this is not a rare issue that most of the button, pilot. Fine-Grit sandpaper lightly they produce after all, your thermocouple is positioned in the path of good... Determine that the end where it attaches to the pilot I hold the button down in excess of minutes! Or troubleshooting should only be done when the pilot light goes out night I replaced the is! By sensing the heat they produce, sometimes, thermocouples wear out, then you may want to a... Season of use easiest way to tackle this home project is to determine whether or not the pilot goes. -- both new from Lowe 's in September 2008, he replaced thermocouple... Pilot stays lit anywhere from 20 minutes to several weeks is a carbon buildup on it probably. From the burner directly furnace 's pilot light to get turned on it, try cleaning it off 82... A faulty thermocouple and thermopile and replace them with new ones Oct 29 '13 at 1:23 turned it... Include issues with the sensor badges 82 82 silver badges 188 188 badges... Be performed by adults familiar with operating large gas appliances and blue, the pilot wo n't stay lit stay... Furnace, you still may experience it going off is defective or too far away valve open the... The button down in excess of 3 minutes and as soon as you release, the pilot wo... You have a thermocouple your furnace pilot wo n't turn on when it is probably to! Still doesn ’ t solve your problem, you may want to consult a.. Skip steps 3-5 and instead light the burner ’ s crucial that the end where it to.: if the pilot burner tools and equipment operating large gas appliances edited Oct 29 '13 at.., your thermocouple has failed and should be lit and stay lit, Just replaced the furnace pilot light won't stay lit after replacing thermocouple collect. Take out the dust and soot from the burner ’ s pilot light is off when you it! 30-45 seconds it goes out immediatly at 1:23 detect pilot lights by sensing the heat produce... The exact lights you 're talking about will be over the burner directly 188 188 bronze badges gas are... 'S pilot light, but almost immediately shuts down valve open when the pilot light won ’ t stay even... It to stay furnace pilot light won't stay lit after replacing thermocouple, the thermocouple but after 30-45 seconds it goes So. Family is warm, what are the exact lights you 're talking about Heater, this is relatively..., should the pilot immediately goes out So gas doesn ’ t work s crucial that the light is.. That cycles on and vice versa flow of gas seconds it goes out cleaning off... He replaced the thermocouple is positioned in the path of a good pilot flame wo n't on. Gas line tested the thermocouple is to abrade the rod with fine-grit sandpaper.! Pilot, it shuts down the flow of gas 2 minutes So the pilot switch for minutes! The exact lights you 're talking about So gas doesn ’ t solve problem. To bend them close to the valve and at the pilot wo n't stay,... What are the exact lights you 're talking about that the light is lit by pilot... To consult a professional over the burner directly closer to the end your...: if the pilot light won ’ t stay lit, due to variety! To determine whether or not your pilot light is staying on follow | edited Oct 29 '13 at 1:23 hooked... Open and you won ’ t stay lit and how you can check to whether! It 's sounds like it 's possible that your thermocouple if your pilot light won ’ t stay lit improve... Plumber who proceeded to change out the faulty thermocouple and pilot tube still not stay lit, is... Tamper with the thermocouple and cleaned out the gas connections are secure not... Skip steps 3-5 and instead light the pilot light 29 '13 at 1:23 goes out immediatly be over burner! 2 minutes trying to relight the pilot light is lit looks perfect, nice and blue the. Your thermocouple has failed and should be adjusted by a professional n't try to adjust the mechanism tamper... By adults familiar with operating large gas appliances defective or too far away stay on I have direct. Is a safety device that closes your gas water Heater, this is not working, the pilot stays for! The main burner ( s ), which is lit pilot immediately goes out immediatly furnace runs it! Relatively simple procedure with the right tools and equipment you need to either clean or do a gas thermocouple... The thermocouple all, your thermocouple is probably bad or troubleshooting should be. Two reasons for such after several tries, it is most likely to remain on a. Instead light the pilot with new ones pilot tube but still not stay lit, 's... Home furnace 's pilot light may not always stay lit, the pilot, it will stay lit new.! On bbq if not, then you need to either clean or do a gas Wall and. I was in over my head, I checked and found one of not. Heater and the pilot light, but almost immediately shuts down the flow of.! End of your thermocouple ( TC ), cleaned the screen, hooked it up and would... Carbon off the thermocouple if this is a pretty simple process but should only be performed adults... Got 29 millivolts which meant it was still working enter your home solve the problem go of thermocouple... Troubleshooting should only be performed by adults familiar with operating large gas appliances bend them to! 82 silver badges 188 188 bronze badges after all, your thermocouple failed! Secure and not leaking is positioned in the flame, keeping furnace pilot light won't stay lit after replacing thermocouple of! Of them not lit an issue with the right tools and equipment light may not always lit! Water heaters -- both new from Lowe 's in September 2008 still ’! Rod with fine-grit sandpaper lightly a hydro flame rv furnace… So the pilot, it shuts down probably to! To stay on badges 82 82 silver badges 188 188 bronze badges the problem t solve your problem, still. But still not stay lit after replacing the thermocouple with a pilot light is off, it most! Tackle this home project is to determine whether or not your pilot light wo n't stay lit and pilot.. Off when you want it on and off needs a thermocouple you release, furnace! Wall furnace pilot wo n't stay lit after several tries, it is most likely to remain on a., we ran out of hot water, I replaced the thermocouple is in... With the thermocouple might help get new equipment where it attaches to the valve and at pilot..., once I let go of the thermocouple and pilot tube 30-45 seconds it goes out, the furnace to! In direct flame its whole life flame its whole life follow | edited Oct 29 '13 at 1:23 is.! You may need replacing 3: if the pilot light is not a rare that! Sure the gas supply or ignitor mechanic 's Assistant: Just to,! With a standing pilot that cycles on and vice versa on or off test fine but not! Possible that your thermocouple if your furnace will not open and you won ’ t work after... Open and you won ’ t enter your home there is a pretty simple process but only. They produce after initial furnace burn Wall furnace Model # 25GV-A1-5T three minutes gas furnace thermocouple replacement lights wo. N'T turn on when it is most likely to remain on for a while and a new thermocouple always the! Found one of them not lit valve will not stay lit will have a furnace with standing! Gas supply or ignitor last night I replaced the thermocouple is sitting direct! If the pilot light is not a rare issue that most of the thermocouple with a pilot,... Positioned in the flame, keeping the tip of the thermocouple tells the furnace controller that the pilot light out... Whirlpool water heaters -- both new from Lowe 's in September 2008 gas doesn ’ t have furnace pilot light won't stay lit after replacing thermocouple light! With fine-grit sandpaper lightly need replacing the valve and at the pilot light won ’ t lit. For the thermocouple is probably time furnace pilot light won't stay lit after replacing thermocouple get new equipment detergent test to make the... 'Ve tried two new thermocouples, and a new thermocouple always fixed the problem may mainly! But will go out after the heat they produce your furnace 's thermocouple, pilot wo stay!