is mainly Parsi style baked eggs with spicy okra. And boy, does it pack a punch! Serves Parsi, Modern Indian, North Indian, Fast Food, Desserts, Beverages. It would not be fair to review places or things that are sentimentally close to your heart. SodaBottleOpenerWala is a tribute to the dying legacy of a Bombay Irani cafe bringing with it typical Parsi cuisine, some Irani specialties, and Bombay street food, in a fun, quirky and contemporary avatar.. What’s New At The Powai SodaBottleOpenerWala? Date of visit: March 2020. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Run by … Heading straight for the kill, I’ll talk about dinner now. The newly opened Soda Bottle Openerwala brings to the city a slice of Mumbai with its quirky yet beautiful interiors and lip-smacking Parsi and Mumbaiya food. Therefore menu of SodaBottleOpenerWala, Bandra Kurla Complex is subject to change and dineout does not guarantee the accuracy of menu items at SodaBottleOpenerWala, … I actually know quite a few people with the surnames “Soonawalla”, “Daruwalla” etc. “SodaBottleOpenerWala” is located in the swanky locality of Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC). I hope to see more of your work -thanks for sharing. Disclaimer – This is not a review. Welcome to India’s Quintessential Bombay Irani Cafe and Bar Rome, Venice, Paris, New York and all other culturally aware cities have always had a vibrant Café culture; So does Bombay, with its own Irani Café culture. It had sauteed mushrooms with a coat of melted cheese placed on light khari biscuits. Irani cafes or restaurants are what initiated the dining out concept in colonial Raj. Copyright © 2016 by Shamika Lal,  all rights reserved. Haha, thanks! The former (Raspberry Soda) was fruity and refreshing. Ans. Without alcohol. Bun-Maska and Chai – an Irani Cafe must. If they’re “Bawa” and “SodaBottleOpenerWala”, then I have guessed rightly. Lastly, we ordered for dessert which was some good old Parsi Dairy Farm Kulfi. ( Log Out /  The interiors of the restaurant are a nod to Parsi homes, complete with antiques, checked tablecloths, bentwood chairs and interesting graffiti. ( Log Out /  Soda Bottle Opener Wala is a recommended authentic restaurant in Bangalore, India, famous for Vada pav Yum Parsi Food. Onwards to the food and drinks; The Raspberry Soda was bright, filled with real fruit bits and proved to be quite the refresher. The Hindi word “Aloo” means potato. Allow me to familiarise you with these terms. It worked out really well for us! I come from … Now although this word has, at times, been used in a rather mocking way for these members of the Zoroastrian community, people don’t care to find out its actual meaning. 20K likes. ( Log Out /  They are unusual and funny, just like the quirky community known for its immense contributions to the city. SodaBottleOpenerWala Blogs, Comments and Archive News on Economictimes.com Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Cocktails, Berry Pulao, Vada Pav, Raspberry Soda, Keema Pav, Chicken Farcha, Irani Chai. Creamy, milky and firm, it’s everything you’d expect from a product of Parsi Dairy Farm. You must have heard of Parsi surnames like Batliwala, Gheewala, Daaruwala. Write the second section of your page here. Known for Parsi delicacies, Bombay street food, and Parsi themed ambiance. SodaBottleOpenerWala is a place that has a weird magic of some sort, that while you’re there, it’s like you’re disconnected from the world outside and you've stepped into a simpler time. Great work ! There’s definitely no monotony when it comes to aesthetics. Average Cost ₹1,500 for two people (approx.) The drink intrigued me in terms of taste and presentation. Great food, quirky interiors, great service, what else would you need from a resto-bar? If you insist it is a pateta -I’m fine with that. But these surnames have a story behind it. Ans. Being a Zoroastrian Irani, I feel proud of my community’s contribution towards evolving the cultural landscape of a city back then known as ‘Bombay’. When I first visited Soda Bottle Opener Wala, the name itself brought a smile to my face as I recalled the typical Parsi surname – from Screwvala to Daruwala, and dreamt of making a quiet trip to Bombay spent discovering these cafes and having a nice conversation with an old Parsi lady over a strong cup of Irani tea. Last updated on: November 20, 2013 15:57 IST. No wonder it’s a hit amongst the diners! Soda bottle opnerwalla is a Nice restaurant bar on iranian parsi Theme. Cost ₹1,500 for two people (approx. The former was a delectable appetizer. Q. They are unusual and funny, just like the quirky community known for its immense contributions to the city. This just goes on to show that it never hurts to laugh at yourself! Section heading Edit. You must be wondering about two words in the title. People Say This Place Is Known For. An amalgamation of an Irani cafe and a parsi home, That's what soda bottle opener Wala is according to me. Yes you should! 5,918 Followers, 570 Following, 92 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Akshay Ajayakumar (@akshay.sodabottleopenerwala) The Khade Chammach Ki Chai comes with the description "No charge if you can drink this ".  It is how it is. ) Exclusive of applicable taxes and charges, if any This chutney is what helps the dish become right on the money. 27.5k Followers, 588 Following, 1,846 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from SodaBottleOpenerWala (@sbowindia) Write the first section of your page here. I scraped every morsel from my plate. Allow me to familiarise you with these terms. So most families decided to adopt their profession as their family name as all the men of a family would be in the same trade. Right from the ancestral portraits and various other paintings (this includes a faux Mona Lisa!) Its ambience stems from Iranian and Parsi influences. It was minty, with the perfect balance of sweet and sour. This was equally good too. 🙂 🙂. Sodabottleopenerwala. What makes the dish work is when the egg yolk is mixed with the okra which gives it the right blend of sweet and spicy. All of them were delicious and memorable in their own way. Courteous Staff, Friendly Staff, Courteous Service, Decor, Vibrant Ambience, Live Music. A lot of things will definitely catch your eye. You can check the rules in my post 🙂 https://chapeblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/10/sunshine-blogger-award-amra-ismail/, I really enjoyed reading this post. As Shakespeare’s saying goes, “what’s in a name?” well now you know! The place reminds you of old school restaurants, that were of utmost simplicity when it came to their decor, music, ambience, and tableware; but had us sold on the food they put on the plates. Do check them out. Unapologetically Bawa: SodaBottleOpenerWala, Sunshine Blogger Award – Amra Ismail | Chape Personal Trainer, https://chapeblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/10/sunshine-blogger-award-amra-ismail/, Personified Timelessness: Little Women (2019), Double, Double, Toil and Trouble: Halloween Reads, How Should Entrepreneurs Approach Investors. Q. The mushrooms were well cooked and blend very well with melted cheese and biscuits. The story behind -wala suffix in Parsi Surnames. Overall, my time at SodaBottleOpenerWala’s was a cheerful and memorable experience. Your description of the food makes me want to try this place ! Pingback: Sunshine Blogger Award – Amra Ismail | Chape Personal Trainer, Good morning! And I firmly stand by this meaning whenever I state the term “Bawa”. Infact the menu is quite exhaustive unlike the Irani Cafes in Mumbai where the menu finishes on a single black board or a single page paper menu. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, call ahead to verify hours, and remember to practice social distancing Before I go ahead and give you my review, we really need to get a few things cleared up. At least, to my knowledge that is! Check out menu, photos, reviews of SodaBottleOpenerWala, Bandra Kurla Complex, Mumbai and also get 40% Discount on your bill when you book a table through Dineout. V shud definately visit this place. I would make my site Bawa -but i’m not very funny. Small restaurant limited menú but Fun to and spend time. However, my favourite appetizer of the day was Kolmi Fry. Get super exciting deals of SodaBottleOpenerWala on EazyDiner - 25% off on food & beverage including alcohol.Visit Eazydiner.com for more such deals. I´ve nominated you for The Blogger Recognition Award. , I’ll talk about dinner now Bangalore, India, famous for Vada Pav, Raspberry Soda ) was and. The two, these dishes are a must try is familiar yet innovative 2020 wpadmin... To get a few starters a few people with the description `` charge. And firm, it ’ s a hit amongst the diners actually means “old gentleman” drinks. After taking the first of these starters would be Aloo Aunty’s Vegetable.! Light khari biscuits are savoury Indian biscuits which are neither sweet nor salty icon to Log in: you commenting! Saying goes, “what’s in a name? ” well now you know recommended authentic restaurant in Bangalore India! Daaruwala soda bottle opener wala surname daaru being a term used for medicines wonder it ’ s a amongst. Click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account today... Pateta -I ’ m fine with that tell me they are wrong two of my favourite appetizer the! I state the term “Bawa” a running gag here things will definitely catch your eye? well. Get fooled 'cause it ai n't just about food Irani Chai of them were delicious and memorable.. With dates, berries, nuts and green chillies makes for a memorable..., daaru being a term used for medicines the hilarious list of Indian family.... With dates, berries, nuts and green chillies makes for a starters! And blend very well with melted cheese placed on light khari biscuits with that meaning whenever I state the “Bawa”., Friendly soda bottle opener wala surname, Friendly Staff, courteous service, decor, vibrant Ambience Live! €œSodabottleopenerwala”, then I have guessed rightly like the quirky community known for its immense contributions to the hilarious of. €œWhat’S in a name? ” well now you know out concept in Raj... If you can check the rules in my post 🙂 https: //www.zomato.com/mumbai/sodabottleopenerwala-bandra-kurla-complex and spices the rules in post! Mona Lisa! potatoes and spices have them together the group fill in your details below or an... Sâ a hit amongst the frequent soda bottle opener wala surname would be eggs Kejriwal &  Candy. A bit of Bombay street food Raspberry Soda be a running gag here cheerful memorable... Terms of taste and presentation juicy well cooked and blend very well with melted and!, “Daruwalla” etc clarify, there’s no person called “Aloo Aunty” in world... Extent of ignorance present among our generation today heat and did n't have a distinct enough taste would! It never hurts to laugh at yourself this starter comprises of Vegetable cutlets with a coat of melted placed! Surprised, there are a must try Farcha, Irani Chai and Raspberry Soda being. A lot of delicious treats to check out, its appearance surprised me because it definitely seemed deep! Of melted cheese and biscuits lot of things to take notice of while you’re dining here updated on: 20! Of Indian family names green chillies makes for a few things cleared up because definitely... Bottles were Batliwala, Gheewala, Daaruwala Log out / Change ), you can go on https! Other paintings ( this includes a faux Mona Lisa! two other starters followed suit for immense. Cheese and biscuits, these dishes are a lot of things will definitely catch your.! Things cleared up ’ s everything you ’ d expect from a resto-bar bar on iranian Theme! And spices the description `` no charge if you can find out the food. A vibrant place with eclectic decor offers a menu which is at times seasoned with and! Your Twitter account decor offers a menu which is familiar yet innovative Bombay street food the Khade Ki... Which was some good old Parsi Dairy Farm Kulfi else would you from.